Defence and national security
Partnering to enhance Australia’s defence and national security through sovereign capability and national resilience imperatives.
What we offer
Partnering with us provides access to the following benefits.
We have a proven track record in delivering transformative outcomes and solutions for our government and industry partners, underpinned by world-leading expertise.
Facilities and infrastructure
Our world-class research and testing facilities include hypersonics and high-temperature materials essential to hypersonic flight and spacecraft, such as:
- T4 Stalker Tube: free-piston driven shock tunnel
- X2: free-piston driven next generation super-orbital expansion tube
- X3: free-piston driven large super-orbital expansion tube
- X3R: free-piston reflected shock tunnel (based at Eagle Farm)
- Drummond Tube/Tunnel: small shock tunnel
- Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis
- Anechoic chamber
- manufacturing facilities for additive manufacture of metals, including high-entropy alloys and manufacture of ceramic matrix composites up to 2800C
- equipment for large scale testing and in-depth material characterisation.
Who we work with
- Australian Defence Force
- BAE Systems
- Black Sky Aerospace
- Boeing Defence Australia
- Defence Science and Technology (DTSG)
- Defence Materials Technology Centre
- Gilmour Space
- Hypersonix Launch Systems
- Joint Health Command
- Lockheed Martin Australia
- Stryder Defence
- Thales Australia
- Trusted Autonomous Systems Defence CRC
We have established links with Australia's allies and partners in defence research, including:
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
- Multidisciplinary University Research Initiative (MURI) project
- University Consortium of Applied Hypersonics (UCAH)
- US Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)
- US Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL)
- US Devcom Army Research Laboratory (ARL)
- US Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- MBDA Systems
- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA).
See our research in action, learn more about ongoing projects and read our success stories.